LAF seeks an experienced leader who is passionate about its mission to provide equal access to justice under the law to low income and elderly individuals and community organizations. This leader will work with a diverse and dedicated Board of Directors, strong management team, and exceptional staff. The current Executive Director is retiring after thirty years of excellent service to the program and the community. The next Executive Director of LAF will have the opportunity to build on the vision and quality work of this fiscally-strong, highly-regarded program.
High priority roles and responsibilities for the new Executive Director include:
· Continuing LAF’s leadership in providing high quality advocacy for low-income and elderly clients to gain equal access to justice under law, through litigation, holistic services, special projects and close connections to residents throughout Cook County’s neighborhoods;
· Developing a clear strategic vision and priorities for LAF for the next two to five years;
· Developing, supporting and engaging an expanded Board of Directors;
· Maintaining the fiscal and operational strength of LAF by meeting Legal Services Corporation compliance regulations and other funder requirements;
· Re-negotiating the contract of unionized staff in March 2009;
· Serving as the public voice for LAF in the client community, the legal and wider community, the Illinois coalition of legal service providers, and the political community in Illinois and nationally;
· Undertaking expanded fundraising efforts, including major gifts and planned giving;
· Improving the effective use of technology for client services.
The successful Executive Director candidate will:
· Be passionate about the mission of LAF and have a demonstrated commitment to providing legal services to low-income people;
· Understand the unique challenges of a large urban legal aid program;
· Be a successful leader and manager inside an organization and in the community, preferably with a legal aid program;
· Be prepared to develop good working relationships between union and management;
· Be successful and enthusiastic about fundraising;
· Have experience managing the fiscal operations of a multi-million dollar organization;
· Have worked productively with a Board of Directors;
· Understand the effective use of technology for client services;
· Have knowledge of Chicago or other major urban area;
· Have practiced law;
· Possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
· Value diversity and be culturally competent.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. In order to receive full consideration, candidates are urged to apply before March 23, 2007. Interested candidates should submit a letter expressing in detail why they are interested in the position of Executive Director of LAF as well as what they believe they can contribute to the future of the LAF and its client community. The letter should be accompanied by a current resume and the names and contact information of three references.
Materials should be submitted electronically to email@example.com in Microsoft Word format.
The Legal Assistance Foundation of Metropolitan Chicago is being assisted in the search by Patricia Pap, Executive Director, Management Information Exchange, 617-556-0288, firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates with questions about the position or process are encouraged to contact her.